The following are some useful guidelines to show respect for Buddhist teachings and to engender dignity and self-discipline while you participate in formal teachings and practice. These are offered for your own goodness:
- Arrive 15 minutes early for teachings to read or meditate, if possible.
- Do not disturb others who are meditating.
- Wear clean and appropriate dress.
- Shoes should be left outside the shrine room.
- Feet should not be pointed towards the teacher or the altar.
- Dharma text and practice books should not be placed on the floor.
- Stand when the teacher enters the shrine room and remain standing while the teacher performs prostrations as a matter of respect and Buddhist custom. Performing prostrations yourself is optional, however.
- Remain for the whole class or practice as a matter of respect and Buddhist custom. If you know in advance that you are unable to attend the whole class or practice, then we encourage you not to attend that particular session.